Wednesday, September 23, 2009

CRAZY SWINE FLU

It has been WILD around here lately!! We have been so busy with school and sports, while trying to dodge the swine flu at the same time. The kids are loving school and I am enjoying this one on one time with Bentley. Two nights ago she started taking a couple steps at a time. It is still work in progress.. but she is doing so awesome!!! It is so darn cute, she takes fast and choppy steps. I just love it!!! I haven't been able to capture this on video yet, hopefully soon.

So I mentioned the swine flu... I have post about the swine flu once before and just how scared I was of it. Now it seems almost normal for everyone around us to get it. We thankfully have not experienced this first hand yet, and I sure hope it stays that way. Even though Bentley has already had her surgery, her heart is not considered "cured" it never will be. She is a heart baby and will be for the rest of her life. So it's still safe to say that if she gets it or anything else similar we will be headed back to the hospital and probably TCH at that (rather than our local).

To give you an idea of just how bad it has gotten... There are 19 kids in Bryson's class - 2 days ago 9 kids were absent due to either swine flu or strep throat, yes NINE (half the class, unreal)!!! Yesterday, there were 8 kids out for being sick. And that is just Bryson's class. It has hit our town and hit it hard. At the moment it just feels like we are waiting our turn to get it... and I don't like that one bit. We are doing anything and everything we can to not bring these germs home.. but not sure if that will be enough. We are very blessed that Bentley has not ever really been "sick" she has had a runny nose a couple of times before surgery but it was minor. No real sickness though, so I just pray her body keeps fighting these germs. There have only been a couple of kids out in Brenna's class and I am happy to hear that, I sure hope it stays that way.

So how is the swine flu in your town? has it hit? bad? I want to know...

I was going to do my Q&A post today, but I wanted to talk about the swine flu first, I am really interested in hearing how it is around the world.

*** The media and some others brush swine flu off now since it is similar to the regular flu... Before Bentley I would probably understand this, but now... I don't. It is important and I don't feel that they take some of the children or other special needs people in consideration when informing us of this. It seems to spread faster and hit during not normal flu season... regular flu would still be hard on Bentley and she would probably still be admitted, but I hate that some people sort of put down others for being worried or concerned about this and they are very verbal about that. I'm not talking about anyone particular.. just in general.. media. There are so many out there that if get this it will be life threatening... One example: around here they have quit testing for which flu... regular or swine. Before seem like everyone kept numbers of how many people were getting this and now that so many are... they want to hide that fact. Sorry! But that doesn't fly with me. I want to know what we're dealing with. But that's just me. I'm just sayin'

Oh and if you have sent me your heart babies, I have been getting them. I haven't been on the computer much lately so not a chance to update that page. I will have them added this week. Thanks so much for sending them to me, there have been so many new heart moms emailing expressing how thankful they are for coming across it.

The weather is cool here, and I'm loving it. Starting to feel like winter in Texas (if that's possible)... getting me pumped for the Holidays!! I also noticed I need to take Bentley shopping for some winter clothes!!! =)

Have a great day y'all!!!

22 comments:

  1. First time I've posted but I live in a small, rural town in South Georgia and a few months ago, the swine flu was TERRIBLE here. They were sending close to 100 kids home a day from school in the town next to us and about 50-75 in my town. I was so scared of catching it that I kept my daughter, Preslei, couped up in the house at night and on the weekends for a few weeks! Thankfully, it seems to have disappeared and we never caught it. It just scared me because no one really knew anything about it!

    I'll definitely be praying that you guys don't catch it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's full blown here too! One girl I know went to the doc. on a wedneaday and she was the 22nd case that week...and that was just at that doctors office...and we live in a small town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crystal, I love it that Bentley is starting to walk and doing all the normal things. Such a blessing to just have her at home and live life as usual huh?

    But I hear what you are sayin about the swine flu, and it is important to be cautious with a heart baby. Lynnette always protected Anna and stayed out of the public as much as possible. Their family washes their hands ALL the time and that is always a good idea.

    I will pray that you all will remain well,...especially Bentley.

    Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swine full is rampant here. My family has had it and there are very high numbers of kids out at local schools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No reportings of it here yet. So glad. Keep praying over your children for their immune systems. WE do it everyday several times a day. Last year we avoided the flu all together. It was a nice winter without anyone sick. Praying the same this year. shopping is so fun. Get some cute winter clothes for that sweet Bentley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is pretty widespread here too. My son missed Thursday and Friday last week because he tested positive for swine flu and strep throat. Poor guy but he was back to normal by Saturday afternoon. I guess he had a light case. My hubby works in the ER here and he has seen a decline the past week or so because of the long weekend at school. Luckily my 12 year old is the only on that has gotten it. My 14 year old and 13 month old have been clear. I hope it stays that way!! They kids have had their regular flu shot so maybe that will help too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't blame you for being concerned. Our school said that attendance is at 93% right now. If it drops below 90%, then everyone diagnosed with any type of flu will be required to stay home for a minimum of 7 days. If it drops below 80%, then they will consider closing the schools! I think they are actively keeping an eye on it and keeping us informed too, which makes me very happy. I haven't heard of any actual swine flu cases, just flu and pneumonia (which I take VERY seriously because that's what my Mom died from at only age 56). It is scary because there's not much you can do but just hope that those who get it will stay home and not spread it around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, that's just nuts that so many people in your town have contracted swine flu. I will definitely be keeping you guys in my prayers!

    So cool that Bentley is taking a few steps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My little brother has the swine flu, he goes to Midway Middle School...I've been around him off and on the last couple weeks...I feel fine so far, but it's scary to think of how many people he has come in contact with. They pretty much told him there was nothing they could do, he could take tamaflu (for the reg. flu) and wait it out...Hopefully he gets well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time to post, but I just dealt with the swine flu! I live in the Oklahoma City area and it is running crazy here!! My 10 month old had it last week and she was sick for 2 days. It really was not bad, the only thing I would worry about with Bentley is the fever. That was pretty much Adlee's symptom, but lucky for us it only got to 100.4. It is a lot harder on the junior high and high school aged kids! I am a kindergarten teacher, and it's lasted 3 days with them.
    Just keep the "germ juice"(antibacterial) with you at all times and use it like crazy!!!
    I'll be praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recent increases in the amount of swine flu cases suggest a second wave of swine flu is on its way. Could we be in for a winter on swine flu?

    Swine Flu Britain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am super scared too. No Swine Flu cases in Zoe's daycare yet that I have heard of just your normal runny nose, sneezing and coughing. I am praying that it doesn't affect us in any way. I will pray for you guys too. I am interested to hear what others are saying about it as well. All you can do is the precautionary things to try and help prevent it. I hope and pray none of you get it but especially Bentely. I think we all better hang on, it is going to be a looong fall and winter. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in central Fl. So far it hasn't been bad as far as the number of people getting sick, but we did have one 14 year old boy die last week from swine flu. They still don't know if there were underlying issues, but it was extremely sudden. Personally, I am concerned and am always watching for symptoms, especially fever. But I'm not really freaking out. We wash hands, make sure not to share drinks and utensils, just typical hygiene. I think the key is early recognition and treatment. There are plenty of people who are getting swine flu and recover without much issue. It is scary, but I'm sure you're doing all the right things to prevent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first time to comment. I have followed for awhile and have prayed for Bentley and your family! My friends daughters name is Bentley and it is so unique that your Bentley caught my attention.

    Swine Flu has gone crazy where I live. My family got it! My 2yr old and I got it really bad. Luckily they prescribed my other daughter and husband some medicine to help minimize them getting sick before they got it and it helped them a lot. The best thing is w/the first sign of sickness to go to the dr. We got RX called Relenza but my littlest is too little for it so they gave her tamiflu and they can only get that if they are within 48hrs of first sign of sickness. They are asking people that have it to stay home for 10days after their fever is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's reasonable to be scared if you have little ones. The swine flu is so scary because it is affecting hte kids that the normal flu usually doesn't really bother.

    There has been only one case at Kamryn's school so far and there are at least 25 kids in every single class.

    Owen doesn't have a choice but to get the Swine Flu shot. The Cardiology and Immunologists say he has to get it. Easy decision there. I can't decide whether to vaccinate Kamryn or not. She's never caught the Flu before so I don't know.

    I love the cooler weather, although we aren't getting any yet. I am stocking up on winter clothes for our trip to Stanford in October, because it's sure to be cold. I love any excuse to SHOP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you guys stay healthy!!!!!! They closed a school down somewhere(i heard it on the news today but can't remember where it was) because over half of the school was out sick one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am terrified of Cain getting sick. I'm like you...before having Cain I would not have thought about illnesses like I do know. You are right...it's much different if our heart babies get sick. Cain already received one flu shot and is scheduled to get a 2nd flu shot at the beginning of October. They also talked to us about him receiving the swine flu vaccine when it comes available. Thank goodness Cain is our only child and don't have any children in school right now. I can't imagine how worried you are all the time. If Cain had older brothers or sisters I would probably have them stripping off their school clothes as soon as they walked in the door. No germs allowed in our house. :) You have all the right to be worried about the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had gotten a little lax on the whole germaphobe thing.... until Owen brought home some horrible virus the THIRD week of school. Then I realized my FEARS are NOT unfounded! I went in and cleaned his classroom. I sanitized his desk and supplies and now he has to stop at the front door, shed his shoes on the landing, Leave his backpack hanging behind the front door, immediately strip down to his undies and throw clothes down to the laundry, go straight up the stairs and wash his hands. It may sound extreme but Kyleigh has never caught a "seasonal" virus and our doctors tell me its because I AM an anal retentive nut about this stuff.

    What people don't realize is that with kids like Bentley and Kyleigh... this is not just some sickness... a simple GI flu for Kyleigh means a trip to the ICU or worse, TPN. I also look at it this way. We have given up EVERYTHING to keep this kid alive. We have sacrificed business cars, our relationship (at times), our credit and nearly our home... WHY would we ignore something as simple as a SHOT? I know it is a personal decision for everyone to make but for me, its a no brainer. I don't feel like we ever had a choice with Kyleigh. If its offered, we do it. End of subject.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Swine Flu is a real concern for us. Our daughter with complex CHD is a freshman at college. Obviously living in a dorm is not ideal...but life goes on! We have encourages her to use good handwashing and hand sanitizer frequently. You are right...it can be deadly for CHD kids who already are compromised. So far her cardiologist has said to NOT get the H1N1 vaccine. We'll wait and see. She does get the regular flu vaccine every year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crystal, my oldest(he is in 1st grade) came home Tuesday from school not feeling so well, and by Wednesday morning was running 102 fever, he tested negative for strep throat and flu, but they gave him Tamiflu anyways and he will not be back at school until Monday just to be on the safe side. When I called the school they said there were several kids out with th flu and strep so make sure Brenna knows to wash her hands alot cause it is in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi~I'm new to your blog and wanted to say Hello:) Your children are adorable! You seem to have such a strength abouth you given all that you have been through with your smallest one. Your family is in my prayers.

    I was looking back through a few of your posts and my jaw dropped when I saw your daughters first birthday outfit! I just ordered that outfit for my daughters birthday this weekend!! I found her on Etsy and didn't know she blogged as well?!? I am so anxious for it to get here!!! It's nice to read about a satisfied customer:)

    Have a faulous week!

    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  22. We're in Canada and my cousin(age 50) had the Swine Flu so bad he almost DIED! At first he thought he just had a bad cold, but then had trouble breathing and called 911....spent 5 days in the ICU, lungs filled with fluid!Test came back positive for it. Luckily he's ok now. His brother had it as well only a mild case. They THINK he got it at work(he's a stockbroker.)don't know anyone else who's had it..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails