You can also click here to enter yourself in giveaway to win 4 awesome things!!! It ends Friday, so hurry and enter!!!
- Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 birth defect. Source: March of Dimes
- Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths. Source: March of Dimes
- About 1 out of every 100 babies are born each year with some type of Congenital Heart Defect. Source: Children’s Heart Foundation
- Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the United States each year as from all forms of childhood cancers combined
- This year approximately 4,000 babies will not live to see their first birthday because of Congenital Heart Defects. Source: Children’s Heart Foundation
- Though research is ongoing, at least 35 defects have now been identified.
- 4-8% born with CHD have Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- 4-10% born with CHD have Atrioventricular Septal Defects
- 8-11% born with CHD have Coarctation of the Aorta
- 9-14% born with CHD have Tetralogy of Fallot -- Bentley's Defect
- 10-11% born with CHD have Transposition of the Great Arteries
- 14-16% born with CHD have Ventricular Septal Defects
- Although some babies will be diagnosed during gestation or at birth, sometimes the diagnosis is not made until days, weeks, months, or even years after. In some cases, CHD is not detected until adolescence or adulthood. Source: March of Dimes
- It is a proven fact that the earlier CHD is detected and treated, it is more likely the affected child will survive and have less long term health complications. Source: March of Dimes
Anyone can leave comments below. If you do not have a login for the comment section, feel free to comment as guest-just leave your name so I know who you are. =)